Monday, 8 February 2016

Career Mapping

     I was going to title this Fatima Kelly's career mapping for the soul but it would have been too long a title. Instead of blogging this year's resolutions and breaking them. I'm going to write about some of my possible future goals. If all goes well I'll be going back into post-secondary education in the Fall. It's all a matter of which school and which program I decide to go into.

     I got accepted into University of Guelph for one of their bachelor of arts program, an honours program in Sociology. I got accepted into Conestoga College for their bachelor's (and co-op) in Community and Criminal Justice and bachelor's (and co-op) in Public Relations. For this blog post I'm going to go through these programs one by one and see how it could affect my future career. All of the programs are four years for completion.

Bachelor's (and co-op) of Public Relations (Conestoga College)

     I'll start with the bachelor's degree program at Conestoga College for Public Relations. I was previously in a Journalism diploma program at Centennial College in Toronto but had changed my mind. Public relations is still connected to journalism in many ways. I would still be working towards being a voice for the people who hire me.

     One of the reasons why I applied for this program is because successful event planning and hosting gives me a great sense of accomplishment. I also have an interest in business marketing and advertising so being in public relations would give me the opportunity to help run a company.

     This program also has a co-op, meaning I have the chance to work in this field for school, so after school I would have a higher knowledge of what the career will pertain.

Bachelor's (and co-op) of Community and Criminal Justice (Conestoga College)

      Why go into criminal justice? Simple. I want a financially stable 9am-5am type of government job. Also my preferences have changed quite a bit the last couple of years. 

     I used to read young adult adventure and romantic comedy novels. Since a year or two ago I decided to read adult novels to challenge myself. Unfortunately most of them were boring or irrelevant to me. I couldn't relate to the stories where they're done with college and the problems they have now are who they're involved with or unemployment. What caught my attention were the murder mystery/crime solving novels. 

     I'm currently reading another crime solving novel by James Patterson. Not surprisingly I've lost count of how many James Patterson books I've read thus far. He's been my go-to for a good read. I've read the Nancy Drew detective series by Carolyn Keene back in elementary school. Nancy Drew was my fictional idol when I was in my pre-teens. I'm re-inspired to fight for justice (now that sounds like something Sailor Moon would say). 
     
Bachelor of Arts: Honours in Sociology (University of Guelph)

     In my watered down definition, Sociology is the study of society, the why and how it functions. It's the breakdown of how people behave and how the world's economic structure is dependent on how we live. One of the electives I took in Grade 12 was economics and one of my required classes for journalism at Centennial College was economics. 

     My friend had told me that a majority of the sociology classes are the same as the criminal justice classes, I'm booking an appointment with a student adviser at the university to be certain. After doing some online research I realized the possible careers with a sociology degree overlap with what I was already looking into...I could become a public relations officer.

      Does that solve my problem between choosing which school and program to accept? Nope. University in itself is different than college (also more expensive). I've already taken a year of college so I know what it's like and it wasn't too difficult. The difficult part was staying interested in journalism. I did well in all of my other classes except for my actual reporting class. College classes were still difficult to stay focused in and university classes have a far larger workload. 

Here's pictures of me in Toronto happily skating, not thinking about the future 
Harbourfront Skating Rink, photo credits to Dyan (01/30/16)

     I'll most likely blog again after I've chosen what program to confirm acceptance to.      

Until then, Fatima 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate