Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Politics and What's Next

   I was going to use having a headache for the whole day up until now as my excuse to not blog, but what's my excuse for the other days...Hello everyone! My name is Fatima and I'm in the lovely city of Toronto and I've neglected my blog, again. Well is there anything interesting going on in my life right now may you ask? First off I'd like to give a warm thank you to all of those who have viewed my blog. I've surpassed 1000+ hits. 

*Insert 1000+ view party here* 

   Secondly I am proud to say that last night I was a part of the many from Centennial College who was caught in the hustle and bustle of covering Toronto's election night. Last night we were no longer just journalism students of Centennial College's East York campus but we were all journalists for the Toronto Observer and was a part of the live blog that was going on as well. It was a mix of all of the journalism classes put together so best believe we got some great coverage. 

  As I've stated in earlier blog posts, I currently live with my godparent's and godsibling's for school. Since they live in Scarborough Southwest I had to cover Ward 36. I was the only one from my class who lived in Scarborough Southwest, the one's who also live in Scarborough are a part of Southeast. For some students, Juniors were paired with Seniors, the first years with the second or third years because there were multiple people covering a candidate at a time. But I was on my own.

   There were even students covering Mississauga, Brampton, and Pickering since those are the areas on which they currently reside in. Long story short, we had people everywhere cover election night. For Scarborough Southwest I covered Robert Spencer's reception at the local pub which was fortunately just a 5 minute walk from my godparent's place. 

Olde Stone Cottage Pub, 3750 Kingston Road

   I arrived at around 8:00pm to get a good spot. CTV was on at the pub so everyone could see and hear the results for mayoral candidates and ward councilors. Sometime around 8:10pm John Tory was announced the new mayor of Toronto with Doug Ford being runner up. Results came in for Ward 36 at around past 8:30pm. Robert Spencer arrived at around 8:45pm. Unfortunately he has lost to the re-elected Gary Crawford for Ward 36 but he still gave a good show and mentioned everyone in his reception speech and how grateful he was for their love and support throughout the campaign. I recorded his speech and will be sending it in for the podcast. 

Robert Spencer's Reception

   That concludes me talking about Toronto politics. Now onto what's next. I just had my midterm for English class yesterday and I already had my midterm for my Political Economics class 2 weeks ago so we're already at the halfway point of my first semester. What's next to come is more assignments, some may be on the field, some may be just research. But whatever may come, I hope to be ready. And I hope to share my experiences with you through my blog.  

  This Friday is Halloween and I plan on going back to Guelph to go trick-or-treating with my little sister, Bridgette. So today I went to STC (Scarborough Town Center) with one of my friends, Cameron, to look for a costume. Also to buy Taylor Swift's latest album in 2 years, 1989. Buy it now. 

I look like I could be in an ad

   The funniest thing happened though. When we were at HMV for me to buy the album, I got Cameron to take a picture of me posing with 1989 in the store. The sales lady asked if Cameron wanted to be in the picture with me so I responded with a yes and he responded with a no. He reluctantly went to stand in the picture with me. Katie (godsister) said she noticed he was standing away from me but that's because I told him to move because he was blocking Taylor Swift's poster. 

Can't wait to listen to 1989

   Shortly after browsing around STC and getting sidetracked we finally got around to going to the dollar store to get the item I needed to complete my Halloween costume. I bought angel wings. And Cameron bought a recorder and annoyed me with it. Although I suppose I led him to it. There was Christmas decorations already being sold and as I was picking them up to look at it I accidentally got sparkles all over my hands so then I put the remaining sparkles onto Cameron's jacket sleeves. In my opinion he never looked better. 

   I thought shopping with a guy would help me to not buy anything but I was incorrect in that thought. First off he encouraged me to go into Bulk Barn when he saw me staring at the store, when usually my friends back home would be against it. Second off when I got the items I needed he responded with "That's it?". And thirdly when I went to H&M and I picked an oversized green sweater to try on he responded with "Why that colour?". In the end I guess it kind of helped because I have about 5-6 green sweaters. I went with a mixed dark blue and bright pink oversized sweater, on sale for $10. 

  Going onto the RT (Rapid Transit) to get to Kennedy Station for me to bus home, I was in awe at the beautiful sunset we saw ahead of us. 

Prettiest colours

Had to Instagram and make this my cover picture on Facebook

   Well I've got class tomorrow at 8:30am and I've still got a bit of a headache. So going to head to bed soon after finishing this blog post. 

Until then, Fatima 

P.S. Thanks to volunteer Aysha for keeping me company during the time I was at the election reception. Best of luck to you on your studies, I'm sure you'd make a fine lawyer someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate