Thursday, 11 September 2014

First Post + Happy Birthday To Me

   How do I start one of these? Never mind I'll just go with it. It's my 18th birthday today and what did I do? I'll write about it but first I'll give a little update about my life. I moved to Toronto on Monday, September 1st, 2014 because I accepted my acceptance at Centennial college (Story Arts center campus) for journalism. School started on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014. 

     Moving day was two days before school started and I probably should have moved in sooner than that but my friend who shares the same name as me, Fatima, visited Guelph from Winnipeg and after four years of not having seen her I obviously had to stay a little longer to. So come September 1st my family dropped me off and I moved in with my godmother Precy and her two children Katie and her older brother Kevin. I share a room with Katie. And I am grateful to them everyday for allowing me to stay here for a little while for school. My godmother Precy even made pancit (Filipino noodles) for dinner today and Katie helped her pick out a birthday cake for me which was really sweet of them to do.

   Before moving I actually made one friend named Varad from the facebook group for Centennial college. On the first day of class I met him, and then made another friend named Cameron. Varad introduced himself to Cameron and then Cameron introduced himself to Varad and to myself. Now me being the ever so social person that I am (sarcasm) forgot to say something. So after Cameron introduced himself there was some silence until I realized the right thing to do is to introduce myself as well. So I introduced myself by just saying "Fatima.". Varad made fun of the way I introduced myself to Cameron later on. Oh yeah, and Varad and Cameron's birthdays are in September as well but they're a year older.

    Classes were chill. I have a pretty easy schedule. My commute is less than an hour, 40 minutes was the quickest time. I get Tuesdays and Fridays off. Also I have classes with all the same 21 or so people except for one class where a majority of us are split into 3 different classes. Varad, Cameron and I are actually part of the youngest people in our class demographic, many of the others are a few years older. As the days go on I made some other friends as well, their names are Scout and Jasmine. Scout, as I guessed, was named after Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird so I thought that was pretty cool. 

    Now that I'm basically up to speed on how things are going. I guess I can say what I did today. Which was... nothing. Practically nothing, just went to my one 3 hour class in the evening I had today, political economics, fun stuff. Also I was going to wear a dress today but the weather foiled my plan because it was chilly out. Afterwards I made Varad and Cameron walk with me to the nearest RBC bank before heading home since I wanted to withdraw some money. But before then we stopped by some shawarma place and Cameron bought a shawarma wrap. And I don't remember why, I was probably bugging Cameron and he was complaining but I said "Deal with it. You're both stuck with me for the next 3 years." and one of the customer's heard me and laughed. 

    I don't actually have class tomorrow but I'm going to anyways (never thought I'd say that) since I'm going to be buying textbooks from their bookstore and picking up a voice recording device I'm renting out for the weekend for my Terry Fox Run interview assignment this Sunday. Our assignment is to interview any runner in our designated placements for one of our classes. I didn't get my first choice place because 4 other people in my class are from Scarborough so got my 2nd choice which is at Woodbine beach. 

   Today I was spammed with a lot of lovely birthday messages mixed with some good lucks in Toronto, thank you all. I'm expecting some skype calls later on from friends so will be waiting on those (hopefully I don't fall asleep since I'm kind of already tired) also going to reply to some more birthday messages I've gotten on facebook. Well that ends my first blog post. It's a bit long but that's because I wanted to update a little. Plus I write like a talk, so a lot. Hopefully this will be a daily thing which will require me to actually go out and get a life. 

Until then, Fatima 


Me. Varad on piano. Cameron on laptop

Thanks to my Ninang (godmother) Precy & Katie for the cake

2 comments:

  1. Awe kells this is actually so cute! Glad things are going well for you! Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, didn't know you can comment on this, cool. And thank you Bernadette! :)

      Delete

Translate